October 15, 2009

FREE PATTERN: Easy Ribbed Cable Hat

Easy Ribbed Cable Hat


Skills Needed:
Long-tail cast-on (CO)
Knit Stitch (K)
Purl Stitch (P)
Knitting in the Round on Circular Needles
Knit Two Together (K2TOG)
Purl Two Together (P2TOG)
Knitting Cables
Knitting in the Round on Double-Pointed Needles

Materials Needed:
1 skein of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky or any other bulky weight yarn
1 set of 16” circular needles in size 10 ½
1 set of 5 double-pointed needles in size 10 ½
Stitch Markers
Cable Needle
Yarn Needle


This hat is knitted in 3.5 stitches per inch guage and measures about 20.5 inches around to fit an average-sized woman, so adjust your measurements accordingly. Using your circular needles and a long-tail cast-on, CO 72 stitches and join to knit in the round.
*K1, P1 * Repeat to end of first round and PM.
Continue in K1, P1 ribbing until your piece measures four inches long.
Round 1: P2, K6 (for cable), P2, K2, P1, K2, P1, K2, PM
Repeat this pattern three more times, placing a second marker at the beginning of your second round, so you know where the next round begins.
Round 2: Same as Round 1.
Round 3: P2, SL 3 sts onto the cable needle and place it behind your work. K the next 3 sts, then K the 3 sts from the cable needle back onto your circular needle. P2, K2, P1, K2, P1, K2, SM. Repeat this pattern three more times to complete Round 3.
Repeat Round 1 for 5 rounds, repeating round 3 on the next round.
Continue this pattern until your hat measures 8”.
To begin decreasing, P2, K2, K2TOG, K2, P2, K2TOG, P1, K2TOG, P1, K2TOG, SM.
Continue the pattern 3 more times for the rest of this round.
Onto a DPN, P2, K5, P2, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1.
Continue in the pattern to the end of round so you have 14 sts each on 4 DPNs.
Next Round: P2TOG, K2TOG, K1, K2TOG, P2TOG, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1. Repeat this pattern 3 more times until you have 10 sts on each needle.
P1, K3, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, repeating this pattern for the rest of the round.
K2TOG for the entire round, leaving a total of 5 sts on each of the 4 DPNs.
K2TOG for another round, slipping the last st on Needles 1 and 3 to the next needle and leaving a total of ten stitches. Cut the yarn, leaving 6-8 inches of yarn and thread it through a yarn needle. Slip the sts off the DPNs and onto the yarn needle, running the yarn needle through the last ten sts and pulling it tight. Weave in all the ends and fold up the brim.

Now, wasn’t that easy?


26 comments:

wildtomato said...

This is adorable! The cables really pop with that yarn.

Patrice said...

I would love to make this hat for a child with a worsted weight. Do you think it would work with the same sized needles? You can surmise that I am a neophyte knitter. Thanks for any feedback.

Leann I Am said...

Patrice, I knitted this hat up in worsted weight cotton yarn on size 7 needles and it ended up being a baby hat. You sort of have to eyeball it to see how long you want to knit it in a different size, but it toally works!

How long have you been knitting? This is a really easy pattern for a beginner. Let me know if you knit one...I would love to see a picture of it!

Sandy Goodman said...

I really like this pattern. It is so easy in the round. I have made ten of these hats so far. I did change the ribbing to knit2, purl2. It seems to fit better and not stretch out.

Sandy

Sandy Goodman said...

I really like this pattern. It is so easy in the round. I have made ten of these hats so far. I did change the ribbing to knit2, purl2. It seems to fit better and not stretch out.

Sandy

Anonymous said...

In this pattern I don't know what the abbreviation 'PM' stands for. I'm sure it's somthing obvious but did not see a reference.

Leann I Am said...

'PM' stands for 'Place Marker.' I didn't even realize that it wasn't actually spelled out! I'm one of those knitters who feels like I'm missing some huge piece of the puzzle if I'm sure of a term, too. I guess I should really fix that! Thanks for visiting my pattern and let me know if you knit one!

April said...

On the heels of the PM comment - does "SM" mean slip marker? I really dislike the abbreviations in knitting!! Also, can you be more descriptive as to how to change the pattern for worsted weight yarn to make this for an adult? Thanks! April

Anonymous said...

Just found this pattern and wonder....how many stitches would you add for an knitting for a M Man's hat or would you go up in needle size?

Thanks. Making for brother-in-law going through chemo.

Joan

Kimberly said...

I used a fairly bulky weight yarn on a size 10 needle, and this hat ended up being large enough for my father-in-law, who's a really big guy. Very simple and nice-looking pattern. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

In using a circular needle how do you join in order to knit in the round?

Anonymous said...

I really like the hat! I don't have a cable needle though, is it possible to make it without one?

Anonymous said...

hi, is it 8 inches including ribbing or 8 inches from the end of the ribbing? thanks kandy

VickiMurphy said...

No cable needles? Just use a DPN.

Christine said...

Love this pattern. Made 5 in a couple of weeks. Used Deborah Orville sequin bulky yarn. The 10 needles large, but ok. I am using a 9 now. Think will be a better, snug fit.

Anonymous said...

Can this be knitted flat (on straight needles?..). :)

Bubbe/Mom said...

Hi there:

The hat is adorable. Would you write the pattern using straight needles.

I don't have full use of my hands and really struggle with round needles in the decrease portion.

If you would do that, I would really appreciate it. I have been knitting all summer for the homeless women at Room In The Inn. I love this hat and I think theses women would love them too.

Thank you so much,
Rusty

Anonymous said...

The pattern for the cable consists of 18 stitches, so if you make it smaller or bigger the stitches you cast on need to be divided by 18. eg 3 cable patterns = 54 stitches, 4=72, 5=90.

If you want to knit it with straight needles, you just have to in every even (2,4,6,8...) row change the pearls to knit and the knit to pearl eg Round 2 of pattern, instead of: P2, K6 (for cable), P2, K2, P1, K2, P1, K2,PM you go: K2, P6 (for cable), K2, P2, K1, P2, K1, P2, PM (PM stays as it means Place Marker)

MAIZEE said...

I see this Is an old posting if anyone is still here can I make this to fit a large head man 22 inches
Maizee123@yahoo.com

MAIZEE said...

I see this Is an old posting if anyone is still here can I make this to fit a large head man 22 inches
Maizee123@yahoo.com

kraftygayle said...

When you have the dark background, when the pattern is printed it comes out to light, but ads on the sides come in perfect.!!
Very discouraging. Your pattern for the cable hat looks good. Wish I could print it better. Thank you for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

After Round 1 the directions state "Round 2: Same as Round 1." Does this include repeating Round 1 three times?R


Terri M

Anonymous said...

Can i make this on straight knitting neddle

Teresa jo said...

You would need to use two strands of worsted weight yarn.

Unknown said...

If you don't have circular size 10 and 1/2 needles, could you use your size 10 and 1/2 double pointed set of 5 needles for the entire project? And do it just as printed

Unknown said...

how do you print this off?