July 23, 2009

Due to the Current Economy-Part 1

I've had a few requests to share with you my recipe for homemade laundry soap. Well, it's not *technically* mine, I found it HERE, which was a link sent to me by a friend. I did read through all the comments, though, and take bits and pieces from some of them.
First of all, I used half a bar of Fels Naptha instead of regular soap. Actually, I used regular bar soap for my first two batches, then I decided to switch it up with the Fels Naptha. I like that the Fels Naptha grates more easily than regular bar soap. I actually turns into crumbs and makes it that much easier to dissolve in the simmering water.
After I follow the directions I got from THIS SITE, I switched it up a bit. Instead of leaving it in the bucket to set up for the 24 hours, I immediately funnel the freshly-mixed goo into three old Tide bottles that I never managed to dispose of.
Yeah, this is one of those rare moments when procrastination actually pays off. Not usually the case for me, but YAY ME!
The recipe makes a little more than three gallons of laundry soap. Since it's not the fancy schmancy concentrated stuff that you can find in the stores, it takes a whole cup for each load. Needless to say, it doesn't last nearly as long. But, for the couple of dollars it takes to make the stuff, it's totally worth it to me! Those bottles of Tide cost me almost twenty bucks each and I was still buying one almost once a month!
With this last batch, I even went a little above and beyond and added some essential oils to the batch. Just a little, but it makes it smell yummy.
I haven't actually bought laundry soap in about three months. Yes, I go through a little less than three gallons a month, but it only costs a couple of dollars and twenty minutes of my time to MAKE the three gallons. My clothes seem to be just as clean as they were with the Tide. I still have to pretreat with the usual stain fighters, but that's always going to be the case. I've found a few recipes for making my own stain fighters, but I haven't tried them out yet.
I have, however, also learned how to make my own fabric softener. I've played around with a couple of different recipes, but haven't found *the one* as of yet. I still use what I make, but I know it could be better.
So, stay tuned for more things that I've discovered along the way on my journey of being more efficient.
I might even make this a regular thing...

No comments: