December 17, 2009

HO HO HO-liday Exhaustion

*YAWNS*
I seriously just yawned three times between the time I typed the title to this post and the time I typed this sentence. I feel like someone just turned my 'treadmill of life' up to 'HIGH' and I forgot to bring my inhaler.
Did that make sense? Who knows? I have to be honest and tell you that I'm typing this blog to A) Vent and whine a bit about the stress of the holidays B) Actually type up a new post and dust the cobwebs off my last post and C) Maybe I can actually finish SOMETHING today in completing a blog post. So, don't expect much of this to make actual sense.
That sort of reminds me of my friend Jenna. I call her my friend, yet we have never met. Possibly will never meet, actually! Isn't it funny how the world has changed that way? There are people in my life who affect me on an almost daily basis and we may never meet face-to-face. Well, Jenna's one of them. HI JENNA!
Choo choooooooo...CRASH! My train of thought just derailed again. Sorry about that. I'd like to say it won't happen again, but who are we kidding here?
ANYWHOOOO...Jenna writes about the chaos in her life that would make Erma Bombeck proud. When things are the most crazy, she often includes a little jibberish note to her husband about her day and it's just hysterical. A chaotic Jenna note would often include rambling about the toaster with the mailman and coffee grounds. Yet, in the moment, it makes SO MUCH SENSE! Here's a sample of something that would be written in true overwhelmed Jenna fashion:
Dear HBD,
The light bulbs on the toaster with the comcast guy and all the dog poop. Coffee is gone and the stamps aren't stickers and the all the screaming. Fondue? Doorknob clock dishwasher flooded in the water pik with the crayons.
I'm so sorry. That's not nearly as wonderfully clever and crazy as Jenna can put it.
*Bowing down*
I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!
CRASH! There goes my train of thought again....
I need to hurry up and get my Christmas cards out. Yes. I'm late. I used to be so on top of things. Okay, so maybe I've gotten lucky a few times...this year is not one of those times. I need to make myself a list and stick to it. Luckily, 3YO is still sleeping. She's still catching up on her sleep she lost a few nights ago when she decided to cough all night long and not let either of us sleep. Even though I got my seven hours of sleep last night, I still woke up this morning feeling like THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE MOST EXHAUSTING DAY OF THE YEAR. Seriously. Tomorrow is the last day of school before they get THREE WEEKS OFF for Christmas vacation. I would still like to find out why they feel the need to tack another week of vacation on at the end. I could really use that extra week BEFORE Christmas. I remember being a kid and having the traditional two weeks off. It was normally a week before Christmas (give or take a few days) and about a week after. We ended up going back to school a couple of days after New Year's Day and we were ready. The thrill of all the new toys and Christmas cheer had worn off by then and I'm pretty sure we were just basically annoying. That's about how it is here, only we have ANOTHER WEEK to contend with them! I firmly believe that the people who came up with this new schedule don't actually have children of their own.
Okay, so on a completely unrelated matter, what is UP with all the socially awkward Target commercials? I get uncomfortable just watching them. The last thing I want to do is buy someone a gift from Target if it's going to put me into the awkward predicament that the people in the commercial are in. Target really needs to analyze their marketing strategy. Most people try to avoid the situations that we are witnessing in those horrible commercials.
'Nuff said there.
Since I'm whining about time and energy and all that, I need to stop spending time on this blog and get those cards out. This year my cards have taken the least amount of effort...which makes it that much easier to put off! Why do we do that to ourselves???
Anyhow, may you have just enough 'BAH HUMBUG' in your holiday season to really appreciate the 'Merry Christmas' when you see it! Sometimes, you just have to look a little harder to find the joy but it's always hiding there somewhere...

No comments: