March 28, 2009

Polar Bears, Swollen Ankles, and Chinese Buffets


My husband has all the doors and windows open right now. At 11:00 at night. I. Am. FUH-REEZING! I'm not sure if I will ever really be able to come to terms with the fact that I married a POLAR BEAR.


This week has been a real whirlwind. So, I guess it was pretty much the same as all the other ones! 6YO had her first softball game Friday evening. The girls on her team that are returning are showing more confidence and abilities, 6YO included. That being said, they still have to be reminded when to run and in which direction. I swear, softball, soccer, and any other sport that includes little ones is as much for the parents as it is the kids. It's stinking adorable and hysterical to watch the kids try to play. Just the excitement of not knowing whether or not they will remember what to do and where to go is TOTALLY worth the price of admission!
We're watching the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards right now. Technically, I guess I can say that I'm the only one watching it. 13YO and David have lost consciousnous. I just don't see how this awards show is actually for KIDS. They had the Pussycat Dolls sing a song and there were a few 'off' comments and things that I'm not sure were totally 'kid friendly.' When 'The Rock' came out wearing the same dress as Miley Cyrus, the camera went to the audience and I noticed a few of the kids looked a little more confused than they should have at a KIDS' award show.
I've gotten into a bad habit of staying up a little too late the past few nights. I was still waking up at the same time every morning and I don't nap. I've been tired, but what's new right? I was up until 1:30 last night, knowing I could sleep in a little bit this morning. And sleep in I did! 13YO was up with 3YO and 6YO, so she helped them with their cereal and all that. I remember 3YO coming in to give me a picture she colored. I remember thanking her and telling her I would be out there in just a minute. I never even opened my eyes. By the time I did, it was 11:00!!! I can't remember the last time I slept in so late! Sleeping in for me is usally about 8:00 or so on the weekends. All I can say is that I must have needed it!
And here it is, 11:30 now and I'm still awake. GO FIGURE!
I'll get to sleep soon. I just finished playing with my digital scrapbooking program. I've had it for a couple of weeks and haven't had much of a chance to really play with it. It's AWESOME!
I've been having more trouble with my ankles swelling than usual. I mean, my stupid feet and ankles ALWAYS swell, but it's been more uncomfortable than usual lately. My feet swelled up like slippers each time I was pregnant and they didn't ITCH like they do now. Maybe I'm getting eczema or something, because the skin around my ankles feels like sandpaper and I can't figure out why.
That being said, the day I stayed home and knitted and watched movies all day they didn't swell or itch at all. I guess I need to go to the doctor to find out what's going on. I need to tell him to either FIX ME or write a note for my husband and kids that I was really meant to be born into royalty and be carried around on a velvet pillow my entire life, my feet never touching the ground!
Which of those scenarios seems more plausible to you?
The days where I can actually sit down and put my feet up for any length of time are few and far between. I've been to several doctors and they've all just sort of shrugged their shoulders and offered me water pills if I kept complaining. Ever since I had my first daughter (13 years ago) I've had this problem. And it's worse than ever before now.
Okay....I'm done complaining now. The next person who should hear me whine is my doctor!
I'm sure it doesn't help that we went to the Chinese Buffet tonight for dinner. I have a love/hate relationship with places like that. My inner child loves being able to pick and choose all these odd, random things that would never constitute a meal in my house. I also feel like a child in the sense that there are signs all over the place to remind you not to waste food. When they come to clear the dirty plates, I always wish they'd tell me that I did a good job of finishing my food. I've even found myself spreading the remains around on the plate a little so it doesn't really look like I'm wasting food. (More for the kids than myself, though! As sporadic and easily distracted as I am, I can almost ALWAYS finish a meal!) All I know is that the crab meat that's covered in cheese and the stuffed mushrooms will NEVER go to waste on my plate. I'm sure all that stuff has more than its share of sodium in it. I haven't noticed a big difference in the swelling when I eat something salty, but I tend to avoid it since it certainly can't help matters.
I left that buffet feeling a bit sick, but you couldn't have have wiped that grin off my face if you'd tried. I think I had what Juno's best friend would call a 'Food Baby.' (If you haven't seen the movie. you really should!)
And now it's time to close up this house and GO TO BED. I guess I should wake up the couple of chumps that are passed out around my living room, huh? I've been trying to tidy the rooms up on my way to bed. Bodies just look like clutter!!! Seriously, it really does make it easier to start the day if I've put the shoes away and straightened up the toss pillows and such the night before. I've always known that, but it took reading it on the new blog of the awesome Crockpot Lady to make it seem simple enough. She makes it seem less daunting that a lot of the organizational gurus out there. And, it's working. SO FAR, anyway! My lack of ability to follow through on things is what I seem to be most consistent with.
But I can still finish a meal....


No comments: