October 15, 2008

Who taught that boy manners?

Let me start by telling you that I don't find good manners to be the most important thing. I've known many people who have the best manners I've seen. So good, in fact, that they are able to hide their bitter, negative personalities behind those manners. I'd rather have someone show me goodness with their actions rather than their way with words.



That being said, I am not okay with blatant rudeness.




My cell phone rang yesterday. I didn't recognize the number, but that doesn't always mean that I don't know who's calling. Here's how it went down:



"Hello?"



"Is Maria there?"



"No. I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong number."



"OH. We'll then WHO IS THIS???"



"I don't think that really matters, now does it? This is my phone number and I'm not Maria."



He hangs up.



Now, I know I've called my share of wrong numbers. Whether I misdialed the number or called the wrong person, it has happened to me and I'm sure it will happen again. Mistakes happen. Never, in all my years of making phone calls, have I EVER demanded to know the name of the person I was talking to AFTER I found out that I had the wrong number. NEVER!



Now, who on earth taught him manners? Is society, as a whole, just getting to be more and more rude? How bad can it possibly get?

No comments: